This is my sixth edition of the International Hermit and Stitch Weekend.  To get the full details, click here.

Line Art by Heidi Brass
Color Art by Andi Whitmer

Sadly, I didn’t get any stitching done this weekend! The horror!  I was sidelined by not having the supplies I needed in order to complete my projects, which is a shame because this weekend was Victoria Day long weekend.  I would have had an extra day to stitch up a storm.

I may not have gotten any stitching done, but I did manage to tackle quite a few chores around the house.

We spent a lot of time gardening both the front and back yards.  At the time, I didn’t think to take “before” photos.  I only have “after” photos to share.

Here’s my front yard so far.  I need to purchase flowers that can handle a whole lot of direct sunlight.  I will do that this weekend.  In this yard, we pulled out weeds, as well as two bushes (the light green ones).  We had four in total and it was a bit much for one yard, so we decided to transplant two of them to the back yard.

Front yard (clean up & unfinished)

Front yard (clean up & unfinished)

The green blades you see in the back have already flowered.  It only flowers once a year. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any photos of the gorgeous bloom this year, but here’s what it looked like last year:

In full bloom

In full bloom

We also managed to plant these flowerettes along the edge of the wall.  It doesn’t seem like much now, but these do expand and fill in nicely.  How do I know?  I had these planted previously, and they bloomed like crazy.  The next year they looked dead, so I pulled them out.  Hubby insisted that they weren’t dead.  He was right.  What managed to escape the pulling-out carnage, bloomed again.  I decided to plant a fresh batch. This time, I won’t pull them out prematurely.

I promise I won't kill you this time around.

I promise I won’t kill you this time around.

Once we finished the front, we moved onto the back yard.  Boy, was it in serious need of some TLC after this past winter’s beating.  The grass was overgrown in some spots and bald in others.  We pulled all the grass out.  I’m tired of grass, and I’m tired of having to remind hubby to trim the lawn.  Pulling it out solves the problem.

The “Lazy Debbie’s” we planted last year were growing out of control.  Some serious pruning took place.  Again, I regret not having a “before” photo.  It really was quite laughable and pitiful.  Here’s what it looked like finished (before watering).

Back yard facing road.

Back yard facing road.

From this view, you can see the second of the green bushes we transplanted from the front yard.  This one was the biggest of the four.  You can also see my Lazy Debbie’s trimmed back on top of the brick circle in the middle of the yard.

Back yard facing house.

Back yard facing house.

In this view, you can see the second of the green bushes we transplanted from the front yard.  I love the potted flowers in the middle.  The colour is so pretty and vibrant.



Look at my Hostas!  I took this picture this morning, because I  couldn’t believe how much they have grown in two days.  Two days!  Look at them in the first picture and look at them here again.  Wow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s